30 things about me || Birthday celebration
Today I turn the big 3-0, And while this is supposed to be a big and special birthday, turning 30 really doesn't feel any different than turning 29 did, or even 25 really. But it's the start of a new decade, and I thought it would be fun to share 30 facts about me, you may not know!
1. Creme brulee is one of my favorite deserts, and I will ALWAYS order it if it's on the menu.
2. My grandmother taught me how to crochet, and I still make things on occasion. I have a bad habit of not finishing big projects like blankets though!
3. I once ran a 5k and placed 3rd in my division. It was a small race.
4. I'm a twin, and a gemini. I don't believe in astrology, but I always thought it was interesting that gemini is the sign of the twins, and I am a twin. (My twin, Heather, died right before we were born).
5. I drink my coffee black, and prefer dark roasts.
6. I am an introvert, and am more than happy spending time on my own!
7. As a kid I loved the sound of music, and my best friend and I would make our siblings act out scenes with us, and then we would perform them for our parents.
8. I love the smell of honeysuckles.
9. I read my first Nancy Drew book when I was 9, and was instantly hooked on reading! I got in trouble in 5th grade for hiding my book under my desk and reading while the teacher was teaching. Whoops. By 6th grade, I could finish an entire book in a day or two, and in high school I used to get in trouble in English for reading so far ahead! I still love to read, but don't do it as much as I used to.
10. I HATE scary movies, and refuse to watch them.
11. I love to cook, and once considered going to culinary school.
12. I have a degree in Interior Design, but my last semester in college, I knew I didn't want to do it anymore. I finished up, and tried to work in it for a while, but it just wasn't for me. College was a wonderful experience though, and I don't regret going one bit!
13. I love passionate people. I don't care what they're passionate about, but when I see people light up when they talk about their 'thing', it makes me really happy. The world needs more passionate people! Side note, my husband is one of the most passionate people I have ever met. It's one of the things that first attracted me to him, and it still inspires me everyday!!
14. I love music, and going to concerts is one of my favorite date night activities with the hubs! We're going to see Dave Barnes next week!
15. I have my grandfather's 4 string banjo, and took lessons to learn how to play it. I can play exactly 4 songs on it. Badly. Here's a recording of my grandfather playing with his band long before I was born!
16. I used to not like wine until I started dating my husband. Either I hadn't developed a taste for it yet, or hadn't found the kinds I like. He introduced to me to the wonderful world of wine, and now we love visiting all the different wineries in Virginia. Which is also where we happened to find out we were expecting our first babe. It's a funny story, ask me about it!
17. I've visited 22 US national parks + one in Ireland!
18. I've always wanted to have twins. My husband was very relieved that we weren't having twins!! At least this time...
19. I spend too much time looking at other photographers, and wondering if I should be doing something different. Comparison is the thief of joy, and I'm trying really hard to cut back. It's a fine line between being inspired by others and comparing yourself to others.
20. I change into comfy clothes as soon as I get home, even if I'm going back out later. And when I learned that my sister in law does the same thing, I knew we were going to be great friends!!
21. I'm really bad at social media for my business. I'll do good with consistent posts for a few weeks, and then I'll drop off completely for a few. It's just so time consuming!
22. I've seen every single episode of the X-files and both movies. I was over the moon when they brought it back, and can't wait for the next season!
23. I took German in high school, but can't remember most of it. I'd like to learn to speak it though, and may make it a goal for my 30's!
24. My middle name is Kendra, it's where that 'K' in Rachel K Photo comes from.
25. I hope to live in an old house some day, and renovate it. My husband thinks this sounds miserable though, so we'll see what happens!!
26. I cry really easy. Especially now that I'm pregnant! "If I'm not between a 3 and a 7 on the emotional scale, I'm crying.." -Kristen Bell
27. I love dresses, and given the choice I would probably wear one every day. They're so comfy!
28. The older I get, the more I look like my mom!.. or so everyone tells me. I'm perfectly ok with that, cause she's gorgeous!
29. I'm really interested in family history, and have been trying to find information on my ggggg grandmother, Rachel Cummings, and prove whether or not she came from Ireland!
30. I love brunch! In fact, Josh and I had a brunch wedding reception. My all time favorite is my husband's pancakes though. He has a secret ingredient that he wouldn't tell me for a long time!
So this is it. Goodbye to another decade.
I packed a lot into my last year in my 20's – Marrying my best friend, a little one on the way, moving across the county and starting my business up again in VA, countless weekend adventures, and realizing a dream of traveling internationally to Ireland. I can't wait to see what my 30's will hold! I know they will be off to a great start though with the birth of our little boy in October!
Let’s do this 30.
"Grow old with me, the best is yet to be." -Robert Browning